Friday 13 January 2012

What 5 strangers can teach you

I love having to change my mind and my mood- when it is to a positive from a negative!

I was in such a rotten mood earlier today, due to lack of sleep and a rough day yesterday, but the last day of the Jobseeker's course today has been such a wonderful experience that I am in an absolutely brilliant mood now! Score!

The course this week has made me marvel again and again at how amazing my hometown (plus area around it) and the people in it is- and it has been an utterly wonderful (re)realisation! I have had and gained such an amazing sense of collectivity and belonging, which has settled like a warm and fuzzy ball in my stomach.

The problem I have is that I have a hard time differencing between collectivity and forced fixed identities. My personality and sociological background has made me allergic to generalisations of all kinds, and I am so quick to jump to conclusions that when someone says 'we do this', 'they do that', 'women are like that'. 'men behave like that' I just go into defence mode and jump down someone's throat (alternatively slit someone's throat...) and give them a big old rant...

Nothing wrong with a good rant (and I had a hell of a good one this morning in the group(:), but there is a vital difference between fixed (forced) identities and collectivity. And an even greater difference between collectivity and generalisations. It is plain stupid to think that EVERYONE from a similar culture/same country/same gender etc behave/think/act in the same way, but it is pretty hard to discuss totally without using generalisations. On the other hand, that people have similar traits due to the culture, ethnicity, country and town they have grown up in is true to some part- and hey know what, it might not even be a weakness! Uttering (writing) that sense is a hard knot for me to swollow - but I'll do it any way (because being able to admit one's weaknesses and mistakes is a good thing..)

I have realised over this week (and more so from living here for about half a year now) that people from this area are pretty damn brilliant, funny, creative and wonderful. Of course, take this generalisation with a big wheelbarrow of salt (an Anna'ism of 'a pinch of salt')- there are plenty of grumpyass, narrowminded people here as in any town/area. BUT, what I am trying to say is that people are willing to help each other in a way here which I have not experienced before. Because it is quite a difficult region to live and work in (due to it's small size, our two languages and so on and so on...), people have had to be creative and recourseful in an amazing way - which is totally evident in our produce and region. We have LOADS of small companies, often founded by young people bored of not finding what they need/want - so they do it themselves!

I think THIS is exactly the key to why so much interesting stuff come out of 'boring' small towns, regardless if we are talking culture or produce - because you have to have a 'invent it yourself' attitude and not just wait for some one else to invent it/do it/bring it here. Also, that people have to often struggle a bit in order to find/do what they want to do makes them a LOT more willing to help other people to meet THEIR goals. It is almost amazing how many people have told me that 'there are jobs here' or 'I know this guy', or 'my cousin/girlfriend/mother has this company.....' etc etc. In a small town, knowing one person might give you 20 different contacts/names for you to check out/contact, then knowing 20 or more people will give you.....well, I will leave the maths to someone else, but the point is; Being social, creative and openminded will bring a lot of opportunities to you, and it is then your option to act on them or not...

Another thing I love about Jakobstad (with omskirts...) is the amazing humour people have, and especially the ability to laugh at themselves and at difficult things. I don't think I have laughed as much with a bunch of strangers ever in my life as I have this week, it has been totally uplifting and amazing!(: And this was a jobseeker's group! A bunch of totally different (both agewise, background and workhistory wise..) individuals, who only have in common that they are all unemployed. And were we depressed, unhappy, negative, downtrodden poor dole-seekers? Were we HELL! Vibrant, funny and clever individuals with totally different strenghts, weaknesses and experiences - but the wonderful thing was that everyone was so open, willing to share, to have fun, and to learn. We lauged at stuff we were shit at (different things in different people), we shared anecdotes of stupid bosses, good bosses, stupid coworkers and good coworkers, we were serious at times, we taught each other stuff. We pepped each other, shared ideas and tips, talked from our own viewpoints and experiences without disrespecting someone else's experiences and views. And it worked, it worked wonders!

We were even so pepped by the last day and the lovely gingerbread that one of the course delegants (the young baker) had made that everyone burst out in cheer and clapping when we got our 'course certificates', we made up a fantasy company where we would all use our strenghts and become this amazing tourist/cafe/interior/bed&breakfast/baker's/garden sanctuary which people would visit from far away places and we would all be employed (and probably rich and famous as well after a while...). What a lovely end to a tough week, and what a kick into actually starting to apply for jobs! (even the teacher and the lecturers said that we were the funniest and most uplifting group they had tought in a long while(:)

And maybe when the grey (unemployed) Monday hits us again we may feel a little sad and downtrodden again, but I at least will think with warmth and little smile of this week, and it's given me a lot of encouragement and laughter (which we know leeds to a longer life so success in more than one way!)

No comments:

Post a Comment