Wednesday 16 November 2011

THIS woman gives me reason to go up in the morning - 27 October 2007 and ever since

End of October , 2007, London. It was late, I was at home alone, and I was laying on our sofa in our livingroom/kitchen. I am not sure where woody was, but I think he was on a trip somewhere. I think I had been working late, and that that was the reason why I was still up watching telly at 12ish or so.

I wasn't really watching telly, I had it on for backround sound and company. I might have been drinking tea, or maybe a glass of wine. Can't quite recall. BBC was on from earlier flicking. And then.

Then. This magical magical voice came out of the telly and jotled me back to life, to reality. To grim, grey, industrial roof London. To England. To my new hometown. And I fell. Off the roofs and into love. And I have been in love since. With Adele, with her voice. With every single lyric she has ever written and recorded. She is absolutely amazing. A true gem in an ocean of crap music and singers and massproduced monotonous B.U.L.L.

I remember hysterically scribbling down the name 'Adele' and 'Hometown' as the song ended, because at that time she was still unsigned and I knew I couldnt get her album. Yet. I also knew, this girlwoman will be B.I.G. Trust you me. And did she? Did she SHIT! Oh I love that she has become rich and famous, but still is that chubby gorgeous humble north London girl with far 'too' much of a chav accent, slightly too old cardigans to be cool, and too much of an angelface to be considered the next pussycat doll (THANK GOD FOR THAT!) It makes me insanely happy, and wierdly proud (like I would be some kind of mother or manager or even friend) that she is so rooted two feet on the ground. Like a proper north Londoner. Builder's tea, scrambled eggs at a greasy spoon, and then off to a gala or a posh dinner or something alike. Ah, Adele, if you ever want a wife I am here waiting!

So, from that October 2007 I waited, impatiently, but I knew she would be signed. So I kept watching a few live performances she did on tv, and listening to the few (four I think) songs she had on Myspace. Oh and then, surprise surprise (not), came the day her first album '19' came out! Oh the joy!! And was it great? GREAT? Much much more. It touched my soul, something in there vibrated with her words and every single riff, every piano note, every silence and very inbreath. I listened to the album nonstop. I knew the lyrics, then Woody knew the lyrics. And then I started coming home from uni or work and Woody was already listening to her, and then we listened to her together, maybe had a glass of wine, maybe hugged. And shared Adele.

Oh amazing woman, never never change your wonderful Nrth. London humbleness, your grace in thinking you are ungraceful. You are about the most graceful woman and human being I have ever seen, just because you are (at least was in the days you started) so unaware of it. You are clever, an amazing songwriter, A HELL OF A SINGER, so inspiring- and THANK YOU for making my life so much sweeter every time I hear you!



No comments:

Post a Comment